Home of the yacht "RHUMB DO"
    march 2018


Home The Boat Skipper First Mate

Route Map Photo Album Workshop

History This 'n' That Just for fun Best 'n' Rest Trivia

Guestbook Marina Info Glossary

Site Map Links Contact











04/03/18 Sun.  After five days of frustration, we still haven't managed to catch the bloody rat.  We've tried all baits, all kinds of trap and placed them in various positions where we know it runs - all to no avail.  It's driving me nuts!  In the meanwhile, we've been into town (Friday) shopping for the usual foodstuffs and so forth and the plan is to sail back to Labuan tomorrow.

05/03/18 Mon.  After checking out this morning, we returned to the boat and then went to the yacht club for some lunch (and to await the tide).  We haven't seen any evidence of the rat since yesterday morning......my assumption is that it was outside when we locked up yesterday to go shopping as there was crap on deck at the bow.  So, it's locked out all day in the scorching heat, and either fell off or jumped off when we returned in the dinghy.  Time will tell!  We weighed anchor about 1430 and motor sailed back to Labuan, tying up alongside at 1800.

06/03/18 Tues. We checked in this afternoon and rented a car for a day again, took Bill out to the woodyards so he could get some hardwood to fit under his genoa car tracks, and to see 'our' chippy again with regard a new locker front for the toilet upper space.

07/03/18 Weds. Drove out to the airport to meet the 1100 flight from KL and collect Anton and Pam, the prospective new owners of Dulce, took them to their hotel and then to view the boat again.  Returned the car in the afternoon.

08/03/18 Thurs.  At Anton and Pam's request, we took Dulce out for a trial sail this morning, slipping around 0930 and hoisting the mainsail and genoa as soon as we were clear of the harbour entrance.  We sailed to Kuraman Island and dropped the hook off the beach, had some lunch and then motored back to the marina.  We all had dinner together at the Dorset Hotel.

12/03/18 Mon.  After a few days helping Anton and Pam (who have now flown home), doing a few jobs on my own boat and giving the locker front to the chippy for renewal, we can now relax for a day.  Mr Rat has not reappeared, which is very pleasing!

13/03/18 Tues.  A day or two back, we met the crew of Kigdlua, a Dane by the name of Jens and his Inuk wife Dorthe.  Such an interesting couple!  They had bought the boat in Greenland (a wreck) for $1, done it up and sailed through the North West Passage (no mean feat!) and into the North Pacific, periodically hosting a Danish TV crew for a show at home.  Today, they and the tv crew were onboard Rhumb Do filming and interviewing - pity we cannot get Danish television! 

15/03/18 Thurs.  The wheel pilot, a Raymarine SPX5 model, has a crack in the front cover yet again.  These units are just no good in the tropical sun, nor are they man enough for a cruising boat.  This afternoon, I took the wheel off and dismantled the unit with the intention of strengthening the cover with fibre-glass.  We have put one layer of matting and epoxy resin on and now wait for it to dry thoroughly.  I wish I could find (and afford) the drive unit which fits on the lower gearbox of the steering pedestal, and do away with this Mickey Mouse contraption.



16/03/18 Fri.    No, it's not a 'bucket and chuckit' new toilet, it's the wheelpilot cover plate with it's second layer of glass fibre matting and resin.  Will sand and paint it when completely dry.




21/03/18 Weds.  The wheelpilot has been reassembled and refitted so we should not have any trouble with cracking of the plastic now, however......it's still a Walt Disney product!  I got the locker front back from the carpenter this afternoon - it's been two weeks for a job he told me would be two days, and it doesn't fit!  Furthermore, the doors have gaps around them I could drive a truck through, so he's coming back tomorrow!

24/03/18 Sat.  I have the locker front fitting the space now but the helm seat the carpenter made fell apart the first time I sat on it!  I will have to fix that at a later date.  I have taken off the heads door for some repairs also.  Ana left today to go home to Manila, so it was a morning trip down to the ferry terminal - she needs to be in KK for the 11.40 flight tomorrow.  Two weeks on my own now!

25/03/18 Sun.  Ana arrived safely in Manila.

26/03/18 Mon.  Happy Birthday to my brother!  Tried to phone him but the connection was not made .......again.  I don't understand what is wrong with mobile connections the last few months.

29/03/18 Thurs.  After much chasing around, the new headsail furler is now on order from the States, although it does not have the stainless steel locking devices that I wanted.  New furling line guides are also on order, and guardrail terminals from Australia to replace the unsuitable ones fitted in Turkey.  I sanded and fibreglassed the bottom edge of the heads door yesterday, next job is to sand the back of it and glue on formica covering.  Ana is busy making seat covers for friends in Manila.

Did you enjoy your visit onboard?   Please sign my Guestbook

For previous logs, click Here 

Home The Boat Skipper First Mate Log Marina Info Present Position Photo Album Workshop History This n That Just for fun Best 'n' Rest Trivia, games, etc Guestbook Glossary Site Map Links Contact Page About Me Interests Favorites Photo Gallery Feedback