02/06/20 Tues. This morning I refitted the deckwash pump to
the new bedplate, connected the hoses and power, then ran it to check
for any leaks - all OK. In the afternoon, we put the 40metres of
16mm octoplait rode and 50 metres of chain back in the chain locker.
Next job will be to replace the shower tray pump - when it arrives!
It arrived in Kuala Lumpur via UPS on the 21st of May, and like every
other parcel I have ordered, it has spent the last 11 days going back
and forth between Shah Alam and Sepang, two areas of KL. It is
scanned out of one and 36 mins later scanned into the next, back and
forth like a yo-yo. That's Malaysian efficiency for you! The
banjo bolts.......yeah, well that's still with the Pos Malaysia
International Hub at some airport in UK.
07/06/20 Sun. Nothing much happening, no movement of
parcels and rain most days for an hour or two. Heavy rain today
since 10pm last night, so can only watch movies!
09/06/20 Tues. Last night we spent a couple of hours
watching the meteor shower in the clear night sky, the moon was in close
formation with Jupiter, Saturn and Pluto in the south eastern sky. Today we enter phase 6 of the lockdown.
First we had the MCO (Movement Control Order), then we had the CMCO
(Conditional Movement Control Order) which expires today. Now we
have the RMCO (Recovery Movement Control Order) in force until August
31st. As I understand it, movement is now allowed cross-border
between States of Malaysia, (compare that to crossing from Kent to
Sussex or Lancashire to Yorkshire), but national borders remain closed,
so you cannot enter Malaysia. However, our position as yachties is
not clear and I am going to need to clarify the present situation with
the main Immigration Office here in Labuan. Just because Malaysia
is starting to relax travel restrictions, our nearest neighbours (Brunei
and Philippines) are not, so we cannot sail to another destination as
16/06/20 Tues. Yesterday saw the arrival of both my missing
parcels! Spent a few hours replacing the dying shower tray pump,
it should have taken an hour but took somewhat longer because the new
replacement pump had a different footprint which meant additional work
for me. I am still trying to sort out the chaos of Immigration
rules and it seems we will be allowed to enter Sabah providing Labuan
will let us go - the problem being that if Labuan stamp us out.....we
can't then re-enter Malaysia at Kudat, or any other Malaysian port for
that matter. Further investigation needed.
18/06/20 Thurs. We took the boat out this morning to test
the engine after it's air vent repair. All was well after an hour
at 1800 rpm with the engine temp at 84oC.
Putting the revs up to 2000 sent the engine temperature climbing to 90oC
and sounding the alarm. Reducing the revs brought the temp down
again. I will have to flush the cooling system and check the heat
exchanger tube stack next.
19/06/20 Fri. We went to Hup Fatt auto store today and
bought some radiator and engine block flushing liquid. I drained
the old coolant out and topped up again with the flushing agent and
water, ran the engine for about 50 minutes between idle speed and
1600rpm. I wanted to drain the system afterwards but flushing it
with cold water while the engine is hot is not a good idea! I will
drain it in the morning.
21/06/20 Sun. My engine problems are multiplying! The
cooling water is behaving oddly in that it takes me a long time to fill
it and exclude the airlock. I used to be able to fill it, run the
engine with the cap off until the thermostat opened and the level
dropped, then fill it again and all was well. Now, I have to do
that about 10 times before the airlock has gone - weird. OK, maybe
one of the water jacket passageways is blocked and the water is seeping
through rather than having a free flow, so I decided to repeat the
flushing process and put another bottle of 'cleaner' in. After
getting rid of the airlock again, I ran the engine for about 15 mins at
idle speed, then without warning, the engine speed increased to 1700rpm
without any throttle being applied. It now will not run at
anything less! The governor is a pneumatic version and maybe the
diaphragm has become perforated or brittle? So now I have to try
to solve that mystery before I can continue with the coolant problem.
Spent the afternoon in Financial Park sorting out a issue with the wi-fi again - all my internet quota keeps disappearing in a short space
of time, so got them to change my username and password. Also went
to a bookbinding store and had my engine workshop manual rebound as it's
falling apart due to age (bit like me!)
24/06/20 Weds. I have sort of convinced myself that the
governor diaphragm is the problem causing my engine to over-rev at idle
speeds, several starts have shown it to run around the 1850rpm mark, so I have ordered a new
diaphragm from the UK (Manfred @westfield 4x4). Now begins the
long wait for delivery again and bang goes any thoughts of an early
departure to Kudat. If I were to attempt engaging either forward
or reverse gears at that engine speed, the damper plate would be
wrecked, or worse still, the gearbox.
27/06/20 Sat. So.....yesterday around 4pm, we get a power
outage which turned out to be some (alleged) maintenance being done by the marina.
At dark o'clock, they come and tell us to move to 'A' dock because they
don't have the spares needed to repair whatever it is needs repairing.
I don't have a usable engine! OK they say, we will get Emma 1 to
tow you. Haha, I've seen that boat being driven many times, and
there is no way I would let him tow, push, pull or anything else on my
boat, so no thanks, we will wait until morning and do it ourselves.
This morning, we inflated the dinghy and attached the engine, then with
Alistair's help, we strung a line from 'A' to 'B' dock and Alistair
pulled the line while I nudged and guided the boat using the dinghy.
I can't help but wonder what sort of idiot would start a job at 4pm on a
Friday, knowing they had no spares and weekend upon us?
30/06/20 Tues. My diaphragm was supposed to be delivered by
the end of the working day today, but it hasn't been of course. It
is however in KK, so perhaps tomorrow? I have reached the
conclusion that the power will never be reconnected to the bottom end of
'B' dock. After leaving the dock on Saturday, I watched as some
guys disconnected the main supply from the box adjacent to my old one,
so the last five power boxes on that dock are now without power.
The stories given to us do not ring true and I am sure it was a ploy to
ensure the barge at the root of the pontoon had sufficient power by
cutting ours. This marina has gone downhill alarmingly over the
last few years - time to move on (when I can!)
Did you enjoy your visit onboard?
Please sign my
For previous logs,