02/02/17 Thurs. All the lads in the yard had a get together
this evening with a BBQ and beers in memory of our friend Bob.
03/02/17 Fri. Ana and I went into town today to the docs, to get
my supply of tablets for the next two months, and for another orbital
sander - we've now burnt out two! On the plus side....we finally
found a shop that sells Cheddar Cheese!!
05/02/17 Sun. No workers today of course and yesterday was
a wash out with rain all day. Bright sunshine all day today and we
managed to get a few jobs done, like replacing the anode bolts and one
of the seacocks, along with sanding of the door from the cockpit to the
06/02/17 Mon. Jeff didn't show up for work again today - I
got a few jobs done before the rain started once again and Ana cycled to
the town market.
09/02/17 Thurs. I found a couple of broken bolts at the
foot of the steering pedestal yesterday - today I managed to get hold of
some more in town and replaced the damaged ones.....they are 304 not 316
stainless but will have to do for now.
10/02/17 Fri. Seacocks are all in now, all the electric
connections made to anode bolts in the engine bay, shaft in, stern gland
in, shaft coupling on......tomorrow we will put in the engine (weather
permitting) and I just hope it lines up with the shaft!
11/02/17 Sat. We put the engine in before breakfast!
After some refreshment, I bolted the gearbox up to its mating flange,
moved the engine to stbd. a little and offered up the shaft flange minus
the coupling. Much to my relief, it wasn't far out and I could
adjust the mounting bolts (after cutting two spanners in half) until it
was almost in line. Tomorrow, I will tighten down the
engine mounts and make required adjustments until the gearbox and shaft
are aligned as they should be.
12/02/17 Sun. Semi-tightened down the engine mounts.
Brought the prop shaft forwards to the gearbox rigid half coupling and
checked the alignment, adjusting the mountings until I had just four
thousands of an inch difference in the rotary positions. Then I
bolted in the coupling and rechecked the alignment after tightening the
engine mounts down - the clearance on the test bolt only differed by
three thousandths of an inch at all four opposing check points, so I
would say that is in line!
15/02/17 Weds. Just when you think everything is going
well...... My visa expired on the 14th, Ana's expires on the 21st,
so we thought OK, hire a car and drive down to Brunei and back, have a
couple of days in KK and we both get new visa. Wrong!! We
drove down to Brunei on Monday...at the first border (Sabah/Sarawak)
there was no-one on the booths and the traffic was going straight
through, so we did the same. We drove right across Sarawak to the
Brunei border, only to be told we had missed a check point and to go
back, even though I told them there was nobody there when we came
through. OK, so we drive all the way back across Sarawak into
Sabah again where we were then told that Ana could not enter Sarawak
because her visa was for Sabah only! Right, nothing for it but for
Ana to wait at the border while I returned to Brunei, get my chop and
come back for her. I repeated the drive across Sarawak, entered
Brunei and got 90 days, came back into Sarawak and got 90 days, entered
Sabah and was told I can only have 7 days because I had already been in
Sabah for 90 days. Now I don't understand that at all - after 90
days, I left the country and returned, I should have another 90 days
visa. But no, the immigration officer said I would have to go to
the enforcement officer in Kudat. Today, we've been to the
immigration office here in Kudat and were given a load of bullshit by
the officer there about the boat being in Sabah over 90 days. THAT
has nothing to do with my passport entitlement!! Now we have to
supply proof that the boat is undergoing repairs and the officer in
charge MAY extend my stay or may not. To say I am fuming is an
understatement! We have had nothing but problems since coming to
Sabah and I will be glad to leave.
As a distraction (and because I've never been, despite many visits here), we drove up to the Tip of Borneo, took some photos and then came back into town and had some lunch.
Tomorrow we start work again - after going back to immigration.
16/02/17 Thurs. Into town first thing, to immigration and
see the big boss man. He listened to our problem, then said he
would have to go to Penuwasa and speak to the office there, so off we
all troop again - in company with two other immigration officers who had
nothing better to do, and inspect Rhumb Do, see what the jobs
were. Also he spoke to the office here. Afterwards, he said
he would speak to his superior and see if it were possible to extend
both our visas (I should have had 90 days anyway, but they would never
admit one of theirs made a mistake!) Quite why they had to look at
the boat I do not know, because they had no idea what they were looking
at. Anyway, Ana and I reported back to the immigration office at
3pm and were told to fill out several forms, get Penuwasa to fill out
some more and we would both be given another 30 days (for a fee of
course). It's all such nonsense and it irritates me immensely that
I have to pay for their mistakes. Have to go back with the forms
17/02/17 Fri. The visa saga drags on! This morning we
went to the Post Office to buy two stamps for our completed visa forms.
Wait for it................the Post Office had no stamps!! You
just couldn't make this up. So, we go to immigration (who know us
by first names now) and tell them, and they say "go to the income tax
office and maybe they will rubber stamp your application without
stamps." Of course, they wouldn't do that, "we don't have the
authority" they say, "Go to the agency and get stamps there." When
we eventually find this 'agency', they only had ONE stamp - so back to
immigration and tell them that we cannot get stamps until Monday,
possibly Tuesday. After much discussion, they decided to process
our applications and give us our visas, providing that we buy stamps on
Monday/Tuesday, get them stamped and bring them to the immigration
office. It really is ridiculous, that's five days wasted now
trying to get visas........and another half day at least still to come.
Nothing done to the hull for the last two days because of rain.
18/02/17 Sat. Rain again all day, we rigged an awning over
the cockpit and I spent the day fitting the new raw water pump and
associated pipework. It took me a while to figure out just how it
was supposed to be mounted - it's some months since I took off the old
one! Power cut at lunchtime again, once more traced to Bob's boat,
which has now been isolated. When I have time, I will have to look
at the reasons why.
19/02/17 Sun. Fitted the starter motor today, along with the heat
exchanger hoses and electric connections for revs, oil pressure etc.
Connected the stop cable, throttle linkage and gear change. Been
wondering how I will get the fuel through the empty pipes from the tank,
through the filters and up to the fuel lift pump; I have read of
others fitting a rubber primer bulb (the sort used for outboard engines)
to the filter inlet, but I don't fancy that, and I haven't got one
anyway. So, this afternoon, I took out the fuel tank dipstick,
connected the dinghy pump to the dipstick hole, blocked the vent pipe
and pressurised the tank - worked a treat, fuel came through the lot,
right up to the lift pump!
20/02/17 Mon. The last bits of filling are being done on
the hull now. I fitted the alternator, belts, wiring, exhaust
elbow and hoses and the remaining electric connections, so now the
engine reinstall is complete. Tomorrow, I will remake the battery
connections, fill up with water, check the oil again - and see if the
engine starts. We also went into town (post office, tax office,
immigration) and have now finally finished our visa extensions, although
it's a bit embarrassing when you walk in and the immigration officers
say "Hi Ian, what can we do for you today", and you jump the queue of
21/02/17 Tues. Had a little trouble with the batteries this
morning, or rather the Smartbank connections and it took me a little
while to find the problem (in the fuse holders). Rigged up a
temporary water connection to the raw water inlet, turned on the
ignition and pressed the starter button.........engine coughed, fired
and started. There was no vibration, no leaks and all seemed good.
Just one little thing...the alternator was not charging (a problem I
have had before), checked the 'exciter' wire and that is showing 13
volts. I will investigate further tomorrow between other jobs!
22/02/17 Weds. Worked all day with Ana and Jeff, we
got the hull covered with one coat of epoxy resin, one coat of
Jotamastic and a coat of red anti-foul. We also painted the blue line
down the starboard side. Not long to go now before we are ready to
re-launch, just a couple more coats of anti-foul and a few other jobs to
23/02/17 Thurs. Second coat of anti-foul on today and the
blue line painted along the port side. Also painted the rudder of
the Aries. Tried to clean out the mainsail cover but another nest
has appeared inside with 4 chicks - they will have to go, but not sure
just yet what we will do with them.
24/02/17 Fri. First coat (3rd anti-foul) of blue applied to
stbd. side this morning, then rain stopped play for 3 hours.
Fitted the hoses from heads to the new seacocks. Painted the port
side in the last 2 hours of daylight.
25/02/17 Sat. Two more coats of blue anti-foul applied.
Into town for a polishing disc for the stainless steel and 10 litres of
petrol, which I thought expensive at 22 Ringgit, but when you think the
equivalent price in UK would be 67 Ringgit, I suppose it's not too bad.
Intended launch day of Monday will have to be postponed until Tuesday at
the earliest - cannot draw out the necessary funds from the bank by
Monday! We removed the nest and chicks from the mainsail cover and
put them in a cut down oil can, under cover on the adjacent boat where
happily the Mum started feeding them.
26/02/17 Sun. Polished the topsides today as well as
stowing some gear away, went into town to the bank and a little lunch
before getting some more shopping.
27/02/17 Mon. All the stainless polished today and a load
of gear stowed away. Back to the bank in town again and paid off
the remaining yard bill. Had our lunch while in town.
Tomorrow is launch day........but I have told the office I will not go
if the wind is up like today, it's difficult to reverse out of the
concrete pen here and Warriors are renown for doing their own thing in
28/02/17 Tues. Launch postponed again because of strong
winds. Watched a flat bottom barge launch this morning and the
wind and waves took him to stbd,......crunch into the last steel and
concrete pile! At the moment, it's looks like Friday is going to
be the calmest day.
Did you enjoy your visit
onboard? Please sign my
For previous logs,