1. Unplug first the USB device (PL2303HXA/XA). Power on your computer
and boot to Windows8. If you have installed the latest PL2303 Windows
Driver Installer program, you will need to uninstall or remove it first
from Control Panel.
2. Press Start button and type "Control Panel". Click Control Panel
Or open Explorer folder and pull down folder menu to look for Control
3. Click Uninstall a program under Control Panel-Programs.
4. Check if "PL-2303 USB-to-Serial" (version 1.7.0) is installed.
Click Uninstall to remove the driver.
5. Run or double-click the PL-2303 Windows Driver Installer v1.5.0
program. (You can download the driver by copying and pasting
Google search bar.) Do not plug-in the USB device yet. Unplug the device from
the USB port before running the driver installation.
6. The Install Shield Wizard will be displayed to inform you that the
PL-2303 USB-to-Serial driver will be installed on your computer. Click
Next to continue.
7. The PL-2303 Driver Installer program will then start to install
the drivers needed. Click the Finish button to close the Install Shield
8. Go to Control Panel-Programs again. Click Uninstall a program
under Programs. Now check if "PL-2303 USB-to-Serial"(v1.5.0) is
9. Go to Device Manager. Press Start button and type "Device Manager"
and click Settings to find Device Manager. Or right-click Properties My
Computer to go to Device Manager.
10. Plug-in the USB device (PL2303HXA/XA) to the USB port. If the PC
is connected to the Internet, Windows will first check Windows Update
for new driver available. It will download the new driver instead which
is not compatible with PL2303HXA/XA and will show a yellow mark (error
code 10) for "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port" in Device Manager.
11. To roll-back the driver to the compatible old driver version,
right-click "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port" and click "Update Driver
12. Click "Browse my computer for driver software" to locate and
install driver software manually.
13. Because the old driver has already been installed, you just click
the bottom option "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my
computer "to show the list of installed driver software compatible with
14. From the list of installed drivers, look for the driver version
18.104.22.168 [10/7/2011], click it to select and click Next to
15. Windows will then install the old driver back to the system.
16. Wait until Windows has successfully updated your driver software.
Click Close when finished.
17. You will now see the "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port" is
installed properly. Right-click Properties the device again to confirm
the driver version is the old compatible version.
18. You may now run your software and set the assigned COM port